Thursday, December 13, 2012

Time away from the farm

I drove to Salisbury, NC Tuesday to have dinner with a group of friends and to deliver 2 goats to their new owner.  The goat move went really well and I had a great time celebrating the holidays with longtime girlfriends.  We've been getting together for at least 15 years, I think.   They get together every month for dinner but this was the first time I joined them this year.   There are 10 of us in the group but 2 couldn't make it Tuesday night.
On my way home I stopped to see my donkey, Willo, at Paco Cavallo Farm.  Alice is Willo's trainer.  She usually trains miniature horses.  I think this is her first mammoth donkey she's trained.  Willo has been there 5 weeks now and is doing really well.  Alice says Willo's smart, and while I was already pretty sure of that, it was good to hear.  Willo has become very attached to Alice and follows her everywhere.  I have to admit I was a bit jealous.  Alice also calls herself Mama to Willo.  Hmmm, I hope she returns her.  Here's one of her exercises.  Alice says Willo likes to show off and sometimes goes and touches the obstacles like she wants to practice.  Her husband, Tom, also said she's really smart and does whatever they ask her to do.  I was proud.  I tried to embed this video but couldn't for some reason.  Here's a link to it.
http://youtu.be/ZpkSxiuO1tc

She's working with her in the saddle, has taught her some ground manners, to lower her head to accept a halter or bridle and this week will work on trailer loading.  I'm hoping she will be able to teach her to pull the cart in the next month so she can return home.  It was good seeing them.  It also gave me ideas for how to train Wilson, my young standard donkey.

1 comment:

  1. Cute! She is smart! Can't wait to come see her when she gets back. :)
    Em~

    ReplyDelete