Sunday, February 6, 2011

The view from my window

It's not the most beautiful view from our house, but it's the one I like best.  As I sit here at my desk checking emails, goat forums or blog, I look at my computer screen for a few minutes and then look out my window to see what the animals are doing. 
This photo was taken this morning before I went out to feed them.  The goats stay in their barns until the first rays of sunshine peek over the mountains.  For those of you who have indoor pets you know how dogs and cats seek the sunny spot on the floor in the winter, no matter how small that spot is.   Almost as if an alarm went off (or rooster) the goats and donkeys exit the barns at the same time and stand with their sides facing the sun.  Sometimes they don't move for a very long time.  I hate disturbing this tranquil scene but the moment I walk out the door I've spoiled the quietude.  This is when I hear all the voices, and they all have unique sounds, calling my name, "Maaaaam".   Maybe they're not really calling my name, maybe they're saying, "feed us".  It sounds more like Mom to me so I'm going to stick with that.  I don't know what the heehaws sound like but it's definitely not "Mom".  I think if they knew I was watching them out the window they'd be screaming at me most of the day.

One of my biggest talkers is Daisy.  Daisy has recovered remarkably well after her rough kidding experience Monday night.  Tuesday morning she wanted to be with the other goats and has been acting like her old self ever since.  Her bottom still looks very swollen and sore but I don't think it's bothering her too much.  She loves being spoiled because I feel sorry for her.
This next picture has nothing to do with what I see out my window but I thought I'd share it with you anyway. 
They're ice jewels.  When it warms up outside and I turn the hose on all these little jewels come shooting out.  I think they're so pretty.  They look like crystals for a chandelier.  I also like the clinking noise they make as they pile up.

2 comments:

  1. I never get anything that pretty to come out of my frozen hose! I'm jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a few hose jewels too. But you're the queen of winter gems!
    You would understand why I sneak ever so quietly out in the morning before I've had my coffee, not daring to even shut the door lest the hungry (ok, she says not hungry, STARVING!, mare hears me and starts up the whinny, moo, baa, maa, quack, bark chorus.
    I've even been known to crawl in a few cases when I had to grab something from the van before my coffee.

    ReplyDelete