Monday, October 11, 2010

The countdown begins now. Only 145 days to go (give or take)

In the past 6 days I've bred 5 of my goats.  I don't really know if they're bred or not but I'll know in 3 weeks.  Goats go into heat approximately every 18 to 21 days.  It's funny how every day only one doe is in heat, never two.  When one finishes up another begins her crying, tail wagging and hovering near the boy's fence.   The bucks, in very bad form, turn into raging maniacs.  If I only had one it would be fine, but I have 3 and the biggest of them, Witty, terrorizes the others.  I've seen him throw Jimmy and Shamus several feet.  This has become a problem when I want to use Jimmy or Shamus for a breeding.  If the girl is hanging out near Witty, which they all seem to prefer, probably because he's the stinkiest, the other boy who I've left out with the girls won't go near the girl because he's afraid Witty can get him.  Very frustrating.

I had said I wouldn't breed them so close together but I changed my mind because I want to get it overwith so the bucks will return to their sweet, clean, well-behaved selves.  Witty broke this gate 2 X 4 with his head.  He had the girl and the other boys were on the other side of the fence but he gets so angry he head butts the fences and gates and stretches them all out of shape. He doesn't care if his head is bleeding or not.

So now I'm going to have kids popping out many days in a row or even the same day.  Wait till you read my blog then, that is, if I have time to write.  You may want to skip reading for the whole month of March because it will all be about goats.  You'll miss a lot of cute pictures if you do though.  It may be chaotic but I'm excited already.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited for you. I hope Thor is not as nuts as Witty. We will see in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete