Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Choosing my path and following my dreams

I just finished the book The Alchemist.  In a nutshell - it was a fable about a young man following his dreams, listening to his heart and reading life's omens.  I loved it.  It got me thinking about what it is I want and if I'm living out my dream.  I think I am - a doting husband, loving son, many really good friends and lots of animals like I've always wanted.  I don't know if I've ever thought about omens or recognizing when something is presenting itself to me and that I should listen to it or take action but I like the idea.  I hope I'm more receptive to them after reading the book anyway.

At 47 years old I worry less about what people think about me.  Yeah, I want people to like me but I don't care if folks think I'm a little strange.  Hopefully it's strange in a good way.  I'm pretty sure some friends of mine and maybe some family don't "get" what I'm doing (the whole animal thing) and maybe don't even approve but that's ok.  It's not for everyone and I wouldn't choose anyone else's life. 

But how do you know if you're there?  If you've reached that treasure?  Have I taken the risks that make it worth the journey, or does it matter?

I love a good book that makes me think.   This morning I had breakfast with 3 great friends.  One of them had recommended I read The Road Less Traveled.  I couldn't get through it.  I told them I didn't really enjoy reading self-help books very much (though I did enjoy A New Earth).  I feel like I'm already happy and those books don't do anything for me.  Does that make me sound over confident or too self-assured?  Maybe, but who cares? 

While I feel happy and blessed in more ways than I can count, I still feel like I'll never stop searching for my elixir or philosopher's stone.  Does anyone?  Is that what gives us energy or purpose?

1 comment:

  1. mary pannabecker steinerAugust 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM

    I loved The Alchemist too. We read it on campus a few years ago. I'm going to send you the one we read this summer -- The Emptiness of Our Hands. I think you'll like it, but I won't say anything about it now. I want to hear what you think.

    I, for one, am very proud of you, James and the
    "whole animal thing". I show your blogs to friends all the time.

    ReplyDelete